Monday, June 13, 2011

Jinja, NOT Ninja, and the Nile

Jinja and the Nile

Monday is coming to a close. Today was spent in a 14 passenger taxi. We drove to a town called Jinja and went to an orphanage called Redeemer House. Right now they have over 20 kids living there and they range in age from 2 to 16. It is an amazing ministry and these kids all have chores that they do (cooking, cleaning, picking mangoes) and they are being taught about the love of God. We were welcomed with singing and dancing!

They made us lunch and we just played with them for several hours...and I officially have my first sunburn. :( but it is bearable so I will survive! 

After we left Redeemer House, we drove a little while more and went to see the rapids on the Nile River. I didn't ever think I would see the Nile, but today it happened. I even put my hand in it. So cool!  But not nearly as cool as 2 of my teammates getting engaged at the falls (to one another). So excited for Jesse and Courtney. 

I am currently writing from the cramped back seat of he taxi so that I will be able to post as soon as we get back to the guest house (hotel). I have no idea what tomorrow will bring. We are playing this week by ear until we leave on Thursday night! Amazing that I have only known these people a week...we are talking about how blogging has changed our lives. Too true - mine by reading so many others' stories and many of us connecting here in Uganda for the first time. Who would have thought!

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful experience of sights, sounds, and sharing! So thankful for God's protection for the team and the communication through
    e-mails and blogs!!
    Knowing you are in His care,
    A Fisherman's Daughter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have thought! I saw it coming and I am so glad you took this journey. I know you will glean on this trip for years to come....until of course you return. (to another country--if not again, Uganda.)
    I anxiously await your arrival.

    ReplyDelete